BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 1, 2008

Sutton's 911 call / ER visit


First, let me say that I know you cannot even SEE a bump or bruise in this picture but I promise you it's there. We just didn't capture it very well in this photo for some reason.
Oh dear golly! I knew it was coming but not quite this bad. Thursday night was a complete frenzy. Clint was out of town (of course) and the girls and I were winding down for bed. I was on the sofa and look over just in time to see Sutton do a literal nosedive off of the chair onto the hardwoods. I'm talking HARD...the entire weight of her body landed on her head with nothing to break the fall. I hurdled over the sofa and scooped her up. Immediately her head flopped over to the side and her eyes rolled into the back in her head. My first thought was "oh my gosh, she's broken her neck or back and I've moved her" so I laid her down on the floor and grabbed the phone to dial 911.



She was barely crying at all which was even scarier because normally she would be in a tizzy and terrified after falling like that. The first EMT was at my door in, no joke, about a minute and a half, tops. I had no idea where he came from but I was so glad to see him! The following EMTs showed up about 5 minutes later. Now, I never walked outside to see who was there and or how many trucks there were because obviously I was sitting w/ Sutton but we had crews from 3 different stations show up and I saw lights-o-plenty a flashing outside. My neighbors must have thought there had been a mass murder or something!



They asked me if she had had a seizure or been knocked out and I said no, but I thought she looked like she was going to w/ her eyes rolling back into her head the way they did. That has never happened before and I hope it never happens again.



They checked her out and within about 10 minutes she was crawling around and smiling at the guys. Poor Taylor was all upset and confused about what was going on in her house and why her sissy was crying.



They asked if I wanted her transported to the ER and after talking w/ them we decided that I would take her myself. I really had no choice. There was no way I was sending my baby by herself in an ambulance (unless it was a life or death matter) because she would be terrified and I couldn't take Taylor w/ us in the ambulance. So, I called my mom and she and John came over right away to keep Taylor and Sutton and I headed to the ER.



Did I mention the rain that night? It rained like it hasn't rained in 5 years....torrential downpours...couldn't see at all. 280 and rain don't mix well. It took me 45 minutes to get to Children's Hospital because not only was it raining but there was a wreck and only 1 lane open. Ugh!



So, back to Clint....he was out of town...I called him and was as calm as possible in telling him that Sutton had taken a bad fall, the paramedics were at our house checking her out and we were going to the hospital. He flipped out! He threw his things in the car and was on the road in all of about 2 minutes. He met us at the hospital ER just as we were about to be called back...good timing! After being examined, the doc said she really needed a CAT scan to make sure nothing was fractured or bleeding on the inside since she hit so hard and of course we wanted one done to make sure everything was okay.

We felt so sorry for her while she was getting her CAT scan because she was terrified. Two men took her and wrapped her up like a little baby burrito in blankets, then laid her on the machine, strapped her down, strapped her head down, put some stabilizers by her head and stuck her in there. She was screaming at the top of her lungs until the pretty flashing lights came on and she was as quiet as a mouse...until they pulled her back out. Man was she ticked off!

About 45 minutes later the doc told us she looked great, no problems and just to keep a close watch on her for the next couple of days. That poor baby was awake until 1:30 in the morning and was barely cranky at all. She fell fast asleep on the way home and has been fine ever since.

0 comments: